Research Assistants - China Africa Research Initiative (SAIS-CARI) Position
The China Africa Research Initiative (CARI) at Johns Hopkins University’s School of Advanced International Studies invites applications for the position of Research Assistant. Reporting to the Director of CARI through the CARI Research Manager, research assistants will work on a number of tasks, notably on collection, cleaning, tracking and analysis of Chinese finance/loan data across Africa. The research assistants will participate in drafting papers, analyzing the data, maintenance of databases and data archival system. Other China-Africa-related tasks may be assigned.
Successful candidates should possess many of the following experiences and/or skills:
- General knowledge of Chinese affairs (overseas finance, lending dynamics, foreign policy, domestic politics, military/strategic issues);
- General knowledge of African politics;
- General knowledge of international finance;
- Proficiency in a foreign language (Chinese, French, Portuguese, Arabic);
- Open source research capabilities;
- Knowledge of STATA, Excel, Bloomberg Terminal, econometrics;
- Familiarity with Chinese sources;
- Tenacious attention to detail;
- Excellent interpersonal, oral communication, and writing skills,
- Critical thinking and multitasking abilities.
This will be primarily desk research, but may involve extensive follow-up by telephone and other means, and candidates should have the ability to contact sources overseas in Chinese. There is some possibility of field research.
The role will require at least 5-8 hours per week with flexible hours for a 4-month commitment and an extension into the spring semester contingent upon performance. Ph.D. students will earn $20.00/hour and MA candidates will earn $18.00/hour. Applicants must be Johns Hopkins University students and eligible to work in the United States. International students are welcome to apply.
Applicants must be available to attend a mandatory training session on Saturday, September 7, 2019 and start work shortly thereafter. CARI is accepting applications immediately until Friday, August 16, 2019. Short-listed candidates will be contacted to complete a short research test. Interested candidates should include in their application a CV and cover letter (as a single PDF file), attention of Jordan Link.
Job Contact Info: email@example.com
Candidates must apply through SAIS SEAL.