Master of Arts in International Economics and Finance (MIEF) Teaching Assistant | AY 2019-2020 Position
The Johns Hopkins SAIS Master of International Economics and Finance (MIEF) degree program invites applicants for the position of Teaching Assistant (TA). The TA’s goal is to support the success of the class and students by providing students with additional academic support in a professional manner. The TA assists students in understanding content by using various teaching/tutoring strategies. This position will be based in Washington, DC.
- Attends all classroom sessions and records notes from in-class lectures.
- Evaluates student performance, including assignments, papers, and exams.
- Meets with course instructor and assists in determining grading criteria.
- Tracks and records individual and overall course grades in multiple formats, including but not limited to entering grade results in spreadsheets or on the online learning management system (Blackboard).
- Provides and records student grades for Early Warning, Midterm Reporting, and Final Grades according to established deadlines.
- Help maintain course Blackboard site, including but not limited to posting assignments, editing and posting notes and/or Power Point slides for student access, and entering grades as assigned.
- Maintains weekly office hours to communicate in person with students as needed.
- Receives and promptly responds to student inquiries regarding grades, assignments, and course material.
- Plans, schedules, and facilitates weekly TA sessions.
- Plans, schedules, and facilitates review sessions for exams.
- Meets regularly with instructor to discuss assignments and classroom issues.
- Performs other duties as assigned by course instructor.
Preferred: Prior teaching experience in the relevant course content area.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work with diverse populations
• High level of comfort with technology and course format
• Strong knowledge of content area for specific courses
Expertise in the following content areas:
Advanced Excel, Stata, EViews, R
Economics, quantitative economics, accounting, corporate finance, project finance, infrastructure finance, quantitative financial modeling, cross sectional and panel data econometrics.