Pre-Term TA Position
The Johns Hopkins SAIS Pre-Term Program invites applicants for the position of Teaching Assistant (TA). The TA’s goal is to support the success of the class and students by providing students with additional academic support in a professional manner. The TA assists students in understanding content by using various teaching/tutoring strategies. This position will be based in Washington, DC.
Pre-term (July 27 – August 25): Microeconomics
Time commitment: 25-30 hours/week
· Attends all zoom sessions and records notes from in-class lectures.
· Evaluates student performance, including assignments, papers, and exams.
· Meets with course instructor and assists in determining grading criteria.
· Tracks and records individual and overall course grades in multiple formats, including but not limited to entering grade results in spreadsheets or on the online learning management system (Blackboard).
· Maintains weekly virtual office hours to communicate with students as needed.
· Receives and promptly responds to student inquiries regarding grades, assignments, and course material.
· Plans, schedules, and facilitates weekly TA sessions.
· Plans, schedules, and facilitates review sessions for exams.
· Meets regularly with instructor to discuss assignments and classroom issues.
· Performs other duties as assigned by course instructor
Applicants are required to have previously taken the relevant course at SAIS to be considered for a TA position. Prior teaching experience in the relevant course content area is preferred.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work with diverse populations
• High level of comfort with technology and course format.
• Strong knowledge of content area for specific courses.