China Studies Office Assistant Position
This office/program assistant is responsible for supporting the Program Director, along with the Associate Director and all faculty in the program, including adjunct faculty– with any tasks for which research and administrative support is required.
The position requires approximately 10-15 hours of work per week (not to exceed 20 hours per week). The preferred candidates will have excellent interpersonal skills, exceptional attention to detail, and be highly reliable in terms of punctuality and task completion deadlines..
- Must be a current JHU full time student, with strong preference given to concentrators in the program for which the student is applying
- Ability to communicate and interact positively and effectively with faculty, staff and students
- Ability to communicate in a clear and friendly manner both orally and in writing
- Possess sound judgment and strong organizational skills
- Speak, read and write English fluently
- Be familiar and have excellent knowledge with Microsoft systems including PowerPoint, Excel, Publisher,
- Maintain enrollment in the minimum number of hours required by University policy
- Be the front line of the program office, greeting visitors, answering the phone, answering questions, and taking messages
- Perform varied clerical duties such as copying, scanning/uploading, proofreading
- Pick up, sort and distribute incoming mail, take outgoing mail to mailroom
- Assist with special projects as assigned.
- Coordinate development of program newsletters, including writing and editing articles
· Organize and help plan program events and faculty meetings, including drafting and distributing event flyers, preparing Eventbrite forms, working with the SAIS events team and advertising/promoting events. Assist with event registration and Q&A during the event.
· Update and maintain program listservs/databases
- Update and distribute program brochures and handouts
- Maintain program social media presence, if active
- Draft/edit documents as required by Program Director to and on behalf of faculty members
- Assist program director/faculty in coordination of program study trips (line up, confirm speakers, assist with travel arrangements for faculty and students, coordinate distribution of materials and assignments)