Senior Research Assistant-Foreign Policy Institute-Dignity/Tech project Position
The SAIS Foreign Policy Institute (FPI) is seeking a part-time research assistant (RA) to join FPI faculty, staff, and consultants on a major new research project that is looking at emerging technology trajectories and their impacts on national security and human ethics. This is part of a larger project looking at U.S.-China relations, long-term geopolitical futures, and organizational approaches to addressing complex problems.
· Current Johns Hopkins University graduate student
· Broad knowledge of and interest in emerging technologies (synthetic biology, quantum computing, AI, robotics and autonomous systems, ubiquitous data, etc.)
· Strong interest in technology ethics
· Understanding of national security implications of major technologies
· Comfort and ability working independently and in a team
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Adaptability; willingness to join a research project in its early, “start-up” phase
· Prior professional research experience (experience conducting research for a major publication or at a think tank is preferred)
· Impeccable sourcing and citation
· Cover letter
· CV or resume
· Please address the following question in 250 words or less: What do you think is the most pressing question regarding ethical technology development?
· One past writing sample
*Please submit all documents together as 1 PDF document (as requested in SEAL)