Summer TA Position Position
The Johns Hopkins SAIS Summer Programs invites applicants for the position of Teaching Assistant (TA). The TA’s goal is to support the success of the class and students by providing additional academic support in a professional manner. The TA assists students in understanding content by using various teaching/tutoring strategies. As most summer courses will be virtual or online this summer, TAs may work remotely but must be physically located in the U.S.
- Summer Hybrid or Virtual Courses (June 1 - July 15, 2021): Microeconomics & Macroeconomics
- Summer Online Courses (June 1 - July 25, 2021): International Trade Theory, International Monetary Theory, Statistics for Business & Economics, Econometrics
Summer Hybrid or Virtual Courses: 9-18 hours/week
Summer Online Courses: 9-15 hours/week
- Attends all classroom sessions and records notes from in-class lectures.
- Evaluates student performance, including assignments, papers, and exams.
- Meets with course instructor and assists in determining grading criteria.
- Tracks and records individual and overall course grades in multiple formats, including but not limited to entering grade results in spreadsheets or on the online learning management system (Blackboard).
- Maintains weekly office hours to communicate with students as needed.
- Receives and promptly responds to student inquiries regarding grades, assignments, and course material.
- Plans, schedules, and facilitates weekly TA sessions.
- Plans, schedules, and facilitates review sessions for exams.
- Meets regularly with instructor to discuss assignments and classroom issues.
- Performs other duties as assigned by course instructor
- U.S. and non-U.S. citizens are welcome to apply. Note that regardless of citizenship, TAs must be physically located in the U.S. this summer while they are working. We are not authorized to hire students who will be outside of the U.S.
- TAs for summer courses must hold evening sessions to accommodate students who are working full-time in the summer. They are not required to be available between 9am and 5pm.
- TAs will be required to continue working for roughly a week after the course ends to evaluate student performance (Grading assignments, papers and exams).
Applicants are required to have previously taken the relevant course at SAIS to be considered for a TA position. Prior teaching experience in the relevant course content area is preferred.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work with diverse populations
• High level of comfort with technology and course format.
• Strong knowledge of content area for specific courses.
Application: In addition to submitting this form, please e-mail your cover letter (must include the courses you would like to apply to the TA position) and your unofficial transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org.