Writing Center Tutor Position
Writing Center tutors assist students with their academic writing by facilitating critical thinking in students, aiding the students' understanding of their writing, and by teaching students skills that will allow them to become better writers for success in future writing projects. Writing tutors must understand proper grammar, sentence structure, and organization of topic sentences, paragraphs, and essays. Tutors are not responsible for proofreading papers.
• Experience working in a multicultural environment
• Previous experience or training as a tutor or teacher
• Familiarity with academic writing
• Ability to identify a written text’s strengths and weaknesses
• Advanced understanding of English grammar, rhetoric, and the writing process
• Individual tutoring in grammar, writing organization, and clarity of English
• Address students’ writing needs while acknowledging their concerns and goals
• Explain the same writing concept in many different ways based on the student’s writing level and comprehension
• Student workers must be enrolled full-time at Johns Hopkins University
• Per Johns Hopkins University guidelines, all student workers must currently be residing in the U.S. to work remotely at the SAIS DC campus
• Work hours are flexible, ranging from 5 - 10 hours per week at a rate of $18.00/hour.
• Tutors will work remotely when the SAIS DC campus is closed for virtual/online
Qualified individuals should submit a resume and cover
letter through SAIS SEAL by September 10th.
Contact SAISWritingCenter@jhu.edu if you have any questions.